Peanut Butter Berry Breakfast Bowl
Prep time 10 minutes
Wait time 1 hour or overnight*
One of my favorite things in the world is a good breakfast bowl. These are works of art that taste incredible but are only made out of the healthiest ingredients, and of course, always vegan. One of my favorite flavor combinations is berries and peanut butter—the juicy sweet tartness with the rich warm flavor of peanut butter is a match made in heaven. I prefer to use natural peanut butter—the kind that is only roasted organic peanuts, maybe with a touch of salt. These peanut butters have a thinner consistency so they are great for drizzling on top of oatmeal, vegan desserts, or making into a simple dipping sauce.
Breakfast bowls would be nothing without the hidden star of the recipe: overnight oats. Maybe you’re an avid fan or maybe you have heard about these overnight oats and wondered, “What the heck are they?” Well I am here to tell you they will make you question ever cooking your oats again! Seriously, soaked oats with chia seeds and almond milk (or any plant milk) is a one of a kind phenomenon you must try.
In this recipe there are berries, nuts, seeds, and raw oats. All are beautiful ingredients with impressive nutrient profiles. This breakfast bowl provides an excellent source of protein and fiber, as well as healthy omega-3’s, minerals copper, manganese, zinc, selenium, calcium, and vitamins K, D, C, and B-12. Not to mention, this tastes like a symphony in your mouth. Memories of peanut butter and jam sandwhiches or grandma’s oatmeal have been reinvented and veganized in this beautiful breakfast. I hope you will try it today!
- ½ cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup vanilla almond or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, a more liquid kind is best
- 3/4 cup mixed fresh berries (I used raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
- 1 tsbp each of pecans, dried coconut, and raisins for topping
- a sprinkling of cinnamon
- In your serving bowl mix together the oats, chia seeds and almond milk. Let the mixture soak in the refrigerator for at least one hour, but overnight would be preferable to get the softest texture for the oats and for the chia seeds to fully plump up.
- When the oats and chia seeds have soaked up most of the liquid, remove them from the fridge and arrange the berries on top.
- Drizzle the peanut butter on top, or just plop a spoonful if yours is too think.
- Sprinkle the pecans, coconut, and raisins on top.
- Dash it with cinnamon and you’re good to go! Enjoy your beautiful and healthy creation!